Monday, November 16, 2009

"Drippy" Butterfly





Good morning! It's sunny here in Albuquerque today, but wow, is it cold! Brrrr... The brisk weather has me craving some cards that represent warmer temperatures, so I whipped up a couple of box cards that, to me, have a Spring-like feel to them.

I made this first card using a color palette that's a bit unusual for me. I love blues and greens together, but when inking the images up, I went for brighter versions of this palette, which I think, adds a bit of whimsy to this Tim Holtz "drippy" butterfly. LOL! I don't know how else to describe it :D I layered a TH background image on the paper first, then added the butterfly stamping him in Lagoon Blue Versafine ink, and embossed him with the Turquoise Iridescent Super Sparkle. I covered the butterfly in Versamarker pen and embossed him two more times using clear embossing powder to make him nice and smooth. I decided that the main image panel still needed something else, so I added a Hero Arts flourish in Vintage Paper distress ink around two of the edges. I paired the image panel with some lovely K & Company patterned papers and a few flower and gem embellishments.

The inside of the card contains a pocket on one side that is ideal for holding a gift card or small note to the recipient. The sentiment on the other side reads "Just living is not enough" said the butterfly "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower"-Hans Christian Anderson. Ah, how true, wise butterfly :)

Tomorrow I will feature the second box card, so come back and check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Your beautiful butterfly card inspired me to.
    your card is so pretty, I hadt o make immediately a butterfly creation.
    I hope we keep inspiring each other.

    Greatings riet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this butterfly... and that shade of blue with the lime is just too beautiful! Very nicely done, Cheryl!!
    marilynv19

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that color palette and the "drippy" butterfly is too cool!! (p.s. love how marilyn signs her comments--so cute!!)

    Sending you some warm Hawaiian sunshine! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They are greatly appreciated :D