Saturday, February 23, 2013

A new challenge at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps: Getting Fussy!



Welcome back!  Today marks a new challenge at Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps and this week our Hostess with the Mostess is Amanda!  Amanda is tasking us with a controversial challenge that is certain to cause an uproar in the card making community.  Fussy cutting.  Yep, I know.  You either love it or you hate it.  I personally love it and used to fussy cut all my images.  

I'm not a professional fussy cutter, but if I were to pass on a few pointers it would be these:
  • Dedicate a pair of precision scissors just for cutting paper.  I like Cutter Bee's because they are super duper sharp.  I NEVER cut anything else with these scissors besides paper and if I catch someone using these scissors around the house, they better run, because there's going to be hell to pay.   
  • Decide whether to cut right up next to the image or to leave a border.  Doesn't matter which you prefer, just make sure that you're consistent with whatever you decide.  I like to leave a thin white border around my images, because it seems to make the image pop against the background.  However, I have seen lots of folks cut right up next to the image with beautiful results.   
  • When cutting, I like to hold the scissors stationary while resting my elbow on the table.  Rather than moving the scissors around the image, I hold the scissors fairly still and move the image into the scissors.  I feel like I have a bit more control this way.  
Easy peasy, nothing to it :)  Now go to your craft space, pick out a lovely KKS image, color it with your favorite medium, and get to cuttin'!  I can't wait to see your entries!  I chose one of Annie's Travel Girls for my card, Helena from Greece.  I love her outfit!  Plus that big platter of Greek Salad is making me hungry...lol!  Visit the Kraftin' Kimmie Shop for more great images and click on the Deals, Deals, Deals ink to see this week's Frugal Friday Specials. 

Okay, I best scoot!  Until next time, stay krafty!     

7 comments:

  1. Your fussy cutting is always so perfect! This card is gorgeous and colored so beautifully!!
    Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job Cheryl! Your fussy cutting is awesome and your coloring is amazing as always! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a fabulous card, your coloring is beautiful as always and the background, papers, the distressing, well it makes it a winner thanks for sharing Cheryl...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are a wonder at fussy cutting and I always like to use it myself. I really like this weeks card. It makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I 100% LOVE LOVE your "fussy cutting" and I love your cloth you used on your back drop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute card. Love the coloring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They are greatly appreciated :D